Sparrow Hills is one of the seven legendary hills on which Moscow is located. Russian monarchs, book heroes and numerous conquerors looked at Moscow from this place. It was from here that Napoleon looked at the city in 1812. Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Lermontov, Gorky and Blok loved to be here.
Beautiful nature and a magical view of the capital which opens from an observation deck 80 meters above the level of the Moscow River - all this makes Sparrow Hills a popular destination not only among tourists but also among locals.
The address is Kosygina Street, 28, Moscow.
The most convenient way to get to Sparrow Hills is by metro. The nearest metro station is "Vorobyovy Gory". You should walk about 20 minutes from it along Kosygina street in the direction of the building of Moscow State University.
The observation deck is open 24/7. The cable car runs year-round on Mondays from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m., from Tuesday to Sunday from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
The first settlement on Sparrow Hills already existed in the 1st millennium BC. Excavations carried out in the 19th century made it possible to discover the most ancient settlement, attributed by archaeologists to the Diakovo period.
The name to the hills was given by the village of Vorobyevo which was located here and existed until the 14th century. According to archaeologists and historians, it grew out of an ancient settlement which was discovered in the 19th century.
The name of the village has two versions of origin. In accordance with the first, the name of Sparrow Hills immortalized the name of the boyars of the Vorobyov who owned the village in the 14th century. They received this land from Moscow Knyazes for their diligent service.According to the second version, the name of the place happened in the 15th century after Knyaginya Sofia Vitovtovna bought a village from a priest, nicknamed Vorobey (Sparrow) by the people.
In the 17th century, glass and mirror factories worked in Sparrow Hills area. The reason for this was the abundance of clean and fine sand in these places.
At the beginning of the 19th century, architect Vitberg created a project according to which the Cathedral of Christ the Savior should be built on Sparrow Hills and equipped with slopes to the banks of the river. However, the plans did not materialize as during the work it turned out that landslides were likely.
In the 30s of the 20th century there was the first park and in connection with the advent of Soviet power the place was renamed Lenin Hills in 1935. In 1947, the construction of Moscow State University began here. And in 1948 an observation deck appeared with an unforgettable view of the capital.
In January 1959 "Sparrow Hills" metro station was opened (then it was called Lenin Hills). The historical name of the area was returned only in 1999.
In 1987, the hill was declared a natural monument. Now this zone is considered a reserve and is under state protection.
This is the top point of the park. You can appreciate the stunning view of the city which photographers love so much. From this place you can see the panorama of the Luzhniki Stadium, the Novodevichy Convent, Moscow City skyscrapers, the Ukraine Hotel, Ostankino and much more.
To get down from the observation deck you can use the cableway which operates all year round and has three stops - an intermediate, promenade and pier.The lower station - the pier - is located near “Vorobyovy Gory” (“Sparrow Hills”) metro station. The upper station is located on the observation deck of Moscow State University.
The length of cableway on Sparrow Hills is 720 meters. It is used as a sports and transport vehicle. To go down to Luzhniki it takes no more than 5 minutes.
The funicular is equipped with 35 cabins for 8 people per cabin. Tickets are valid all day with an unlimited number of trips.
In 1947 by decree of Stalin the first skyscrapers began to be erected in Moscow which later began to be called the "Stalin skyscrapers." The first completed skyscraper was the building of Moscow State University which was the tallest building in Europe at that time.
The opening of the main building of Moscow State University took place on September 1, 1953. The building was built in a very short time.
Its territory covers more than 30 hectares. More than 5,000 rare plants grow in the alleys.
It was built for skiers in 1953 and has a length of 72 meters.
This temple is known for the fact that in 1812 Kutuzov prayed here before going to the famous council in Filia.
20 nominative oaks were planted in the alley in honor of the 200th anniversary of the victory in the Patriotic War of 1812.
It was also established to commemorate the victory in the war of 1812. You must walk 200 meters far from the lower cableway station to find the composition.
This is a local ecological zone, characterized by an unusual natural landscape with springs. The ecological path on Sparrow Hills was opened in 2005. Useful information about the history of its creation, as well as about all kinds of plants and animals living here, is presented on information stands and signs.